How to Assemble a Gingerbread/Sugar Cookie House:
Assembly instructions are included with your unassembled gingerbread/sugar cookie house purchase. Online (e.g. YouTube) resources are a great option too!
1. BACK PART • Squeeze icing along bottom edge of Back Part and attach to base. Stabilize each part with 2 weighted objects (e.g. salt shakers/spice jar).
2. 1st SIDE PART • Squeeze along bottom edge and one side edge of Side Part and attach to Back Part and base.
3. 2nd SIDE PART • Repeat same process with the 2nd Side Part.
4. FRONT PART • Run icing along bottom of Front Part and along the two Side ends.
5. 1st ROOF PART • Run icing along top edge of Front and Back Parts. Match Roof Part along edge with Front and Back top points.
6. 2nd ROOF PART • Repeat same process with the 2nd Roof Part. Run icing along top edge to reinforce roof. Fill all gaps/spaces found with icing.
Let the gingerbread/sugar cookie house sit overnight to dry completely. Store leftover icing in an airtight container at room temperature.
3 egg whites (room temp.)
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 lb. powdered sugar (4 cups)
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
Whip egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed for about 2 minutes (until foamy).
Add powdered sugar slowly. Mix well at high speed while adding sugar until the consistency of thick mashed potatoes.
Scrape sides, beat about 2 minutes more.
Icing drys quickly so keep covered at all times. Store leftover icing (tightly covered) in the refrigerator. Re-beat before using again.
Yields about 3 1/2 cups.